Skip to main content

Middle Grade Book Review Round Up


Amphitrite the Bubbly by Joan Holub & Suzanne Williams
Goddess Girls #17
Goodreads

Hestia the Invisible
Goddess Girls #18
Goodreads

I was less enthused as this series started adding new Goddess Girls and stopped the rotation of Athena, Aphrodite, Persephone, and Artemis that it had started in the beginning. I loved the addition of Medusa, but I was so-so on Iris. And, even though I loved Pheme, I didn't love Pandora. So the new Goddess Girls are hit and miss for me.

Thankfully, Amphitrite and Hestia fell solidly into the "love" camp. Both of their personalities were endearing and their interests, challenges, and approaches meshed well with me. Hestia especially resonated as we're both introverts and we both enjoy cooking. Each book followed the established pattern of an action-oriented plot, heavy focus on personal growth and friendships, and a smidge of romance (they have "crushes"). Cameo appearances from previous characters, introductions of new side characters, and world-building elements are also present and all remain strong and interesting additions.

Eighteen books is a lot of books in a series, but thankfully I'm still at the point of hoping new books continue to be added. I've also experienced enough "love" for the new Goddess Girls that I don't mind and actually look forward to getting to know new characters.





Let's Mooove! by Courtney Sheinmel and Bianca Turetsky
Magic on the Map #1
Goodreads

The Show Must Go On by Courtney Sheinmel and Bianca Turetsky
Magic on the Map #2
Goodreads

This series came to me unexpectedly from the publisher and I'm glad it did. Each book focuses on a different state (so far Colorado, New York) and is filled with state facts and touristy pit-stops. They're fun. They're super short and have nice but very shallow lessons about things like friendship, family, and responsibility.

I think they'll be very enjoyable to the target age group, but as an adult I'd read another if it was sent to me, but I wouldn't seek them out otherwise. They're pretty thin, but they do what they are well. These would be perfect for mid-elementary school readers and are a fun way to learn about different states.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street by Karen White

Pages: 384 Publisher: Berkley Released: October 22, 2019 Received: Finished copy from publisher, ARC via Netgalley Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars Goodreads  *This is the sixth book in the Tradd Street series To say I love this series is an understatement (and not much else of this review will make sense if you haven't read the series, so stop reading this review now and instead read the one I liked above, and then start this series ASAP). That said, I was disappointed with the last book in the series, The Guests on South Battery . It felt forced. The mystery wasn't as engaging (and the first four books had awesome mysteries), the family connections felt stretched beyond reason, and there was contrived romance drama between Mellie and Jack that I did not appreciate. I was seriously getting worried for this series, even while still gobbling it up because it had tons of things that still make me happy. So that was my baggage when I started reading The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Stree

2020 Re-read Challenge

Challenge Basics:   Name: The Re-Read Challenge Starts: January 1, 2020 Ends: December 31, 2020 Eligible Books: Books you've already read. Why I'm Interested:   Whether it's re-reading for comfort or to revisit old favorites, I want to make sure I enthusiastically dive into re-reading whenever I feel the urge. Some books I'm considering: My Special Shelf favorites , of course. Also, books I liked enough or am curious enough to re-listen to on audio. Books Completed: 1.

Book Review: Mother Knows Best by Serena Valentino

Pages: 400 Released: August 7, 2018 Publisher: Disney Received: Finished copy from publisher Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars Goodreads These books are wacky. I've now read three of these Disney Villain origin stories ( Ursula , The Queen from Snow White) and I'm noticing a pretty consistent pattern. Basically: Intriguing plot. I get hooked by these stories. I want to know what happens next. I wouldn't say they're well-plotted stories, since they're actually pretty ridiculous. But I can't help enjoying them . So-so writing. The writing is pretty stilted. The dialogue is sometimes painful. I feel like I'm reading fan fiction. Sympathetic villain. The origin stories turn the villains into saccharine sweet victims of horrible circumstances. It's a little much , but it's also pretty effective. I liked Gothel, I wanted her to win, and my heart broke for her every time her situation got worse and worse. Side characters. There's usually at least one side char